Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Do you remember how old you were when you became an adult?

How rebellious is it to be a Christian?

     I am a 25 years young man in a church that is constantly in growing pangs. These aren't always bad things, they expand and contract the Church.

     My biggest struggle is to find my place in this Church. Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 12:12-27; about the Church being a body, and every part having it's place, just like body parts. I know I am being built for super cool things; my goal is to figure out what things I have been built for. I know where I'm called and I also know where I am.

     This issue isn't a new one; but it's not like this issue hasn't been addressed. At some point an individual should take on their responsibility and transition into their role as an adult. Given today's culture, the age of transition is in the 20's. This age is a difficult one, forget the teens the twenties are where it's at. I feel like unless a church specializes in the 20 something's then it's hard for these brothers and sisters to find authentic community, in a body that caters to families and elders. Twenty somethings are those that have no family of their own, too old to be young and too young to be old enough. 

     As has been mentioned before, that the twenties are where each individually finds his or herself and really makes their relationship with Christ their own. So in these years, there is such a wide variety of walks and maturity levels. It would seem to be a daunting group to take on and disciple. In Acts, which tells us the history of the church, I would assume the Apostles some of which still had the memories of Christ still fresh in their mind. Were sent out to sow the seeds of what we reap today. 

     Each individual in Christ is part of something bigger than themselves. This body that we are inducted into is more important that our relationship with our friends, family and world. I find it funny that Jesus calls us to be outside of mainstream culture so that we can influence mainstream culture, so we did it; we ejected the church from mainstream culture and made our own bubble, with it's own mainstream, underground and indie subcultures. The problem is we brought along the same unhealthy habits and problems that the world had. Some of these little plagues are problems with our human nature, and thus can creep into our church life.

     Can one say that the church is plagued with the same problems that the world is? The answer is yes, and this is something that I, as a young person, am figuring out. Problems that plague my peers, plague me.  My struggle as a young adult in the body of Christ is finding my place. My role in my church. Until recently I have lived in the future, my career was in the future tense, my marriage is in the future tense... I'm coming to an era of life where everything that was going to happen is starting to happen. I'm ready to start taking on my roles in the Church. My personality is taking shape to start taking responsibility. I'm excited. I have my fears and I have my doubts, but I'm ready to take them on.

     My name is Ryan Hansen, I am a young adult in the body of Christ, looking to take on my role as a leader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment